Sunday, October 14, 2012

Not fast, but fluent.

teacher-resources-john-jay.wikispaces.com


Rasinski says there are three dimensions in reading fluency that lead to comprehending:

1) accuracy in word decoding where readers have to be able to sound out words
2) automatic processing as little mental effort as possible while reading so they can make meaning of the words
3) prosodic reading where they are understanding the grammar basically. Rasinski says that if they are not reading the text appropriately, such as pausing at commas, reading monotoned, ignoring punctuation, etc, then they are most likely not comprehending the text. 

He also talked about a rubric for rating reading fluency that looks at expression and volume, phrasing, smoothness, and pace. I think this is a great tool because it helps teachers know what they need to look at rather than just trying to hurry a student up. I agree that some teachers just hurry some students up and work on fast rather than fluent. I sometimes even catch myself now reading fast and getting ahead of myself and having to go back to look at what I actually read and then I have to understand it. Why not just slow down and get it right the first time? Do you ever catch yourself doing the same thing, too?

I like the ideas of pairing the students up, either homogenously or heterogenously, and letting them read to each other. Then they are only reading with one person instead of a whole class so they don't have to feel embarrassed if they don't think they are good at it. I also like the theatrical ideas. This seems fun! I think kids could really enjoy that and it would be really beneficial for prosodic reading. What were your favorite ideas to help fluency in reading?

The fluent reader sounds good, is easy to listen to, and reads with enough expression to help the listener understand and enjoy the material. -Charles Clark


4 comments:

  1. I really like your grouping methods and think they could be very beneficial and productive for students to learn how to read and become fluent readers! We would have to be mindful of classroom constellations when we decide who is going to be in groups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely find myself rushing through readings and having to go back and re-read because I didn't get anything from the text. I see why so many children are rushing through books because we are taught to read as quickly as possible. I agree completely that we need to slow down and make sure that children can read well enough that they are comprehending what's in front of them. My favorite idea to help fluency in reading is to convert a section of the classroom into a performing area. I think this idea allows the kids' creativity to flow while improving their fluency of the material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think groups is a great idea. In elementary school we had reading buddies, where the fifth graders met with the kindergarten and first grade students. I remember listening to my reading buddy read, and when I read and made a mistake the older students are there to correct you and help you. It helps foster fluency because the younger students look up to the older ones, and probably aren't as embarrassed if they make a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem when I am reading! Either I am too excited about what I am reading so I speed through it and miss important points, or I am so bored by it that I try to read it as quickly as possible and have no idea what the passage was even about. This is something we need to consciously work on with children to make sure they do not get in the same habit of rushing through their reading. By slowing down and practicing their reading I think it would really benefit them in their futures!

    ReplyDelete