Sunday, October 28, 2012

You can't see someones thinking...

understandmore.com
    I really liked the article about Comprehension. It is so important to make sure that students comprehend what they are reading or it is pointless for them to even read it. Something that allows students to better comprehend something is a student’s background knowledge on the topic. When prior knowledge is being activated then connections are being made and students better understand the material.

    A good way to activate prior knowledge is doing like what was talked about in the article, a KWL chart. This allows the students to think about what they already know for sure, what they think they already know, what they want to know, and what they learned once the lesson has been taught. I really like KWL charts. I actually gave one to my class a few weeks ago when teaching a lesson on Prohibition. It kind of stressed the students out at first, but once they realized they did already know a little bit of background knowledge they were much more comfortable with it.

    Have you ever had experience with giving students a KWL chart? If so, how did they feel about it?
    What are other ways that you have activated prior knowledge?

    5 comments:

    1. I have never had experience giving students a KWL chart but I think that it's a great comprehension strategy to use in the classroom! I think that another way to activate prior knowledge would be for the teacher to remind students of related previous lessons they have had and/or concepts that are familiar to them before introducing new material.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I have never used a KWL chart. I can imagine the apprehension that students might feel though when using this for the first time. One technique that I have used to activate knowledge is a think-pair-share activity in which students are able to draw on past experiences, pair up with a fellow student, and share with each other what they know about the topic.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I, like Elizabeth and Landon, have never used a KWL chart with students. However, I can see why they are so effective. I read the article on teaching comprehension to kindergarten students and in reading that article, I learned some other ways to increase comprehension in younger students. Students are encouraged to share "connections" throughout a whole group reading. It is so important to "connect" with the text. I have learned that making connections helps me study for my tests even now. In studying for my classes, I try to make connections with the text, especially when I am unfamiliar with the concept or if the information is completely new to me.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love that photo. I may just have to steal it for my collection! Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I, like the above readers, have used a KWL chart. I do see how it could be really beneficial in the classroom though! In the past I have only questioned the students about the topic to help them connect it to something that they had already done. I had never used material with the explicit idea of helping them connect what they are reading to their prior experiences. From my own reading experience I find myself doing this every time I read. I find it really interesting how all of draw different mental images from a text, even though we are reading the same thing.

      ReplyDelete